When memories of the past surface, what DO you do with the emotions that come up?
Try this ritual, which can be done in the privacy of your bedroom to help you feel and clear them out asap. No chocolate needed!
1. Get 3 pillows and your smart phone. Sit on your bed with the door locked and let others know you need some “me-time.”
2. Arrange the pillows in a triangle: two facing each other and one at the “apex”.
3. Pick one pillow to represent you, one pillow to represent the situation/person/institution/thing, and the pillow at the “apex” to represent the role of an Observer.
4. Start the voice recorder on your smart phone and position it somewhere so it can capture what you say.
5. Sit on the pillow representing you. Allow the memory to arise and feel all the emotions fully. Then LET THEM OUT for 4 mins. Talk, cry, scream, thump the pillow representing the situation/person/institution/thing if you wish. Fully express your emotions and your “wounded” self and tell the other party your point of view.
6. Take a few breaths, exhaling deeply and say “I’m done.”
7. Sit on the pillow representing the situation/person/institution/thing. And imagine things from their point of view. If there are any emotions to express, let them out too. Vocalise any insights into their feelings and views for 4 mins.
8. Take a few breaths, exhaling deeply and say “Ok, done.”
9. Sit on the pillow at the “apex” of this triangle and play the role of the observer. What are your takeaways looking at this situation from the place of a bystander, having heard both sides? Vocalise your thoughts and feelings for 4 mins.
10. Take a few breaths, exhaling deeply and say, “Ok, done.”
11. Stop the recording. Say an affirmation, or a prayer, and add: “I am grateful for the insights and lessons from this experience. I ask for the effects of what happened to be cleared, across space and time. I forgive and let go! And so it is.”
12. Imagine a huge (and friendly) vacuum tube attached to your head, taking away at maximum speed any residual baggage.
13. Holding your smartphone, visualise a ball of light or use Reiki, to send more clearing to this voice recording file for 2-3 mins. Delete it.
14. If you wish you can extend this ritual by another 10 mins by lying back on your bed. Imagine yourself in a happy, delightful place, being infused with love and peace, or give yourself Reiki.